Pakistan Launches Full-Scale Operation to Rescue Train Hostages in Balochistan

Pakistan's security forces launched a full-scale operation on Wednesday to rescue hostages taken captive by militants after a passenger train was ambushed in the mountainous southwest region of the country.
Over the course of two days, forces successfully rescued 155 passengers from the besieged train, though an unknown number of individuals remain trapped on board.
The attack occurred Tuesday afternoon when militants bombed a section of railway track and stormed the Jafar Express in Balochistan’s remote Sibi district—a region that has seen a surge in separatist violence in recent years.
According to security sources, militants have stationed suicide bombers dangerously close to the hostages, escalating fears for those still on board.
At least three people—including the train’s driver—have been killed since the siege began.
“A full-scale operation is underway to free the remaining hostages,” a security official told AFP. "Security forces have safely rescued 155 passengers... 27 terrorists have been eliminated." Among those rescued were at least 31 women and 15 children, sources added.
The exact number of passengers still held hostage remains unclear.
The Baloch Liberation Army (BLA), a separatist group responsible for numerous attacks in the province bordering Afghanistan and Iran, claimed responsibility for the assault.
Muhammad Kashif, a senior railway official in Quetta, said that more than 450 passengers were onboard the train at the time of the attack.

Hostages who managed to escape described harrowing treks through rugged mountains to reach safety.
"I can't find the words to describe how we managed to escape. It was terrifying," said Muhammad Bilal, who was traveling with his mother.
The attackers reportedly checked passengers' identification cards to determine their ethnicity—mirroring past BLA attacks targeting non-Baloch individuals.
“They checked IDs and service cards, shot two soldiers in front of me, and took four others away,” said one survivor, who requested anonymity. “Those who were Punjabis were taken away by the terrorists.”
So far, the dead include the train driver, a police officer, and a soldier, according to paramedic Nazim Farooq and railway official Muhammad Aslam.
Around 80 rescued passengers were transported under heavy security to Quetta, a police official confirmed.
Security forces in Balochistan have been combating a decades-long separatist insurgency. The region—rich in natural resources but economically underdeveloped—has seen a rise in militant activity since the Taliban's return to power in neighboring Afghanistan in 2021.
The BLA has intensified attacks in recent months, accusing the Pakistani government and outside actors of exploiting Balochistan's resources. In a similar incident this February, BLA militants killed seven Punjabi passengers after stopping a bus and identifying non-local travelers.
The current hostage crisis is among the most serious in recent years and underscores the growing volatility in Pakistan’s western border regions.
तपाईको प्रतिक्रिया दिनुहोस